View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Yeah, someone butted in before Ouimet Canyon was figured out, so we kind of have two going at once at the moment. I was kind of leaning towards it being kind of educational as well - ie. why did you pick that location? What's interesting about it, etc.
I picked Suffield because it's one of the largest military training areas in the world, the largest in the Commonwealth, and NATO I believe. It's home to a few thousand British Soldiers every summer, Defense Research and Development Suffield (our version of Area 51) which has one of the highest security clearances in NATO. They test chemical and biological agents there, and used to test nasty shit on people. They had a bunch of monkeys they were testing something top secret on back in the 50s or 60's, when they escaped, so they had to hire people to help them round them up, but didn't tell them what they were testing on them. lol gotta love the cold war.

The large rings (gravel roads) are 10miles apart (IIRC), and were used to gauge the damage caused wen they detonated something like a kiloton of TNT back in the 50's.

It's also home to a large number of Tipi rings and Medicine Wheels dating back approx 6000 years.