View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 10:46 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
The coquihalla is a prime spot for this. Bump it up to 130kph in the summer months and then move it around when the weather is inclement. Even south of the fraser on the No. 1 could be that way. Traffic vs. no traffic etc. They already have the timing equipment in there to show travel times, i'm sure its a software tweak and some new signage to start changing the speed limits.

My typical observation is that when there is a moderate amount of traffic on most highways traffic tends to flow at around 120-130 and that is enough to tell me that there is something wrong with the limits.

Also if you read the question for that survey it is extremely strange and poorly worded.
In almost all cases I qualified my support for higher speed limits with the introduction of truck limits and/or inclement weather or night time speed limits. Again, the Coquilhalla is a perfect example. When it's dry in the summer and it's light until 9pm, 150km/h (or more) is perfectly acceptable. A truck limit should be introduced at 115-120km/h however. When the weather turns, the limit could (or should) be reduced to 100km/h or perhaps even lower. That highway can get tricky.

I feel the same way with many sections of the crowsnest as well as the Sea-to-Sky. Obviously not as high as 140km/h on the Sea-to-Sky, but there are definitely sections that could handle 110km/h (where divided). Come winter, that's one of the worst highways for people driving with lousy all-season tires and tourists, or even summer tires. Snow + congestion can cause a huge mess. I also think there are far too few winter tire checks north of Squamish.

I would support a mandatory winter tire (or snow-rated all seasons at the very least) legislation in BC, outside of the Capital Region and Lower Mainland as well.