View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:46 AM
Fourth and Main

Link Apartments:
They are finally painting it! If you want a ballpark view apartment, look into these. The terrain in Winston-Salem is interesting. One side of this building, fronting the Burke Street area, is around 7-storeys, if I remember correctly, and the other side (facing the ballpark) is 4-storeys.

Credit: Link Apartments Brookstown

National Center for Design Innovation:
An interesting look at the steel skeleton from the inside! We thank you for sharing this, Brian!

Credit: Brian Spears

Fourth & Broad Office Building:
An update from Thursday (5-15)! I'm guessing the weather is slowing things down? When will we hear the name of the financial company that leased this building? We are already half-way into May?

Source

New Headquarters & New Jobs - Verger Capital Management:
Winston-Salem has a new financial company headquarters. Verger Capital Management.

Bike to Work Week:
Friday is Winston-Salem's Bike to Downtown Day! With nice weather today, you may want to bike to work today? I should've told you about the Cycling Social on Monday at Krankies (hipster coffee establishment named for a bike part). Winston-Salem celebrates Bike Month, so there are activities all month. Thursday was Bike for Fitness Day. There was also a Bike Movie Day on Tuesday. Winston-Salem is awesome!

Ride of Silence:
One of those bike related activities is the Ride of Silence next Wednesday. It's a 7 mile slow ride that starts at 7p.m., at Mock Orange Bikes.

Nice View of Downtown:
While looking for updates, I found this view of the Financial District, taken from the Republic Mutual Insurance Building. This is from Mullen Advertising Agency's office, looking toward Corpening Plaza Water Gardens, BB&T's headquarters, Ward Federal Building, and Cesar Pelli's Wells Fargo Center. The building this photograph was taken from was designed by Pickard Chilton, with interiors designed by Gensler. It has a tall atrium, with palm trees, and won a design award when it opened. The main entrance to the building actually fronts a pedestrian and bike path and not a street, which is very unusual.

Source

The Hut Indoor Skate Park: (Northwest Industrial District)
I thought this looked awesome, so I decided to share it with the forum. It's an adaptive reuse of an old quonset hut, relocated from Winston-Salem's former Cold War Air Force base. It's located in downtown Winston-Salem's Northwest Industrial District. Winston-Salem is The City of Adaptive Reuse. The Hut dates back to a time when Winston-Salem had over 1,000 Ph.D. scientists and large factories working on top secret defense projects for decades, during the Cold War. At that time, Western Electric (near the current location of this hut!) was Winston-Salem's largest employer. The Air Force had a base in Winston-Salem to protect these operations.

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Winston-Salem's Wine Festival Season is Here:
Are you visiting Winston-Salem, to see some of these projects this month? If you love wine, this is a good month to visit! Some people at SSP have asked me about the wine festivals in Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem is in the Yadkin Valley, which is North Carolina's wine country. There are three wine festivals. The Yadkin Valley Wine Festival is this weekend. The North Carolina Wine Festival is May 24. Salute: The North Carolina Wine Celebration is May 31st. Salute is the biggest wine festival and one of the city's big downtown street closing festivals. If you can only attend one wine festival, attend Salute in downtown on May 31st.