View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 12:11 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickJunkie View Post
I have worked in the granite industry for a few years now, and from what I understand different stones are generally classified in categories such as "exotic" and "gold," etc., and the prices generally climb higher and higher as the stone either comes from a further source (with the exception of China, which generally has inexpensive and poorer quality stone) or as the stones comes from a region typically associated with good granite, such as Italy or Turkey. There is a very wide range in prices.

I hope you enjoy your new kitchen, Riverman. Also, I think you were wise to get a natural product as opposed to a fabricated one such as Caesarstone or QuartzForm. The stuff you get will last your lifetime. Sorry for the geeky rant and further thread derailment!

EDIT: P.S. - Your granite will be installed in your home already sealed, and if you simply spray on sealer and wipe it with a paper towel once every couple of years it won't absorb anything, unlike the manmade / fabricated products.
Thanks for this.

We were going to go with a man-made product as we have a small space and quartz does have a better selection of light coloured countertops. Then I made the mistake of looking at the Mesabi black granite. Wow!

We had to change the colour combination to go with the black stone but I know it will worth it. I had educated myself about the myths regarding sealing before making the decision to go with natural stone.