View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:57 PM
maƱana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
What's so dense about Newmarket? Are you serious? Newmarket is at the northern fringe of the GTA and the middle class still live in 2 storey, 2000 to 2500 square foot houses and don't own riding lawnmowers for one. Sprawl is not continuous between Barrie and Toronto in case you didn't know. Y'know, Farms are not sprawl.
Yes, I'm serious and just happen to be backed by some facts.... The average density over the huge area of the city of Toronto is 4,149.5/km2, and that for Barrie - which is considered a bedroom community of Toronto (urban sprawl) - is 1,753.6/km2, and that for Newmarket is 2,086.3/km2. So Newmarket is more similar to Barrie's density than to Toronto's. At any rate, sprawl is simply defined as uncontrolled development into rural areas from nearby cities. I know that's a pretty loose definition for "sprawl", but I'm not aware that only "acreage" size lots, where people need tractor lawnmowers, are required for an area to be considered sprawl. Articles in the media seem to agree with my view, and I've provided one of them.

More about Newmarket as it continues to transform from sprawl into a more urban community:

"Goodbye urban sprawl, hello higher density
Transforming Newmarket":

Planners and developers will toss away the growth manual that produced urban sprawl and, instead, blow the dust off plans calling for higher density.

See, they referred to Newmarket as "urban sprawl" that is becoming more urban due to higher density with the passage of time.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-story...igher-density/

Just how low does the density have to be for an area to be considered sprawl? I would say, substantially lower than the city (Toronto in this case) where the growth came from... and that's what we have comparing Newmarket to Toronto.

Last edited by Waterlooson; Nov 8, 2016 at 3:43 PM.