View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
I'm speculating here, but I see "HOM"then space for about 3 more letters, then "RT." This being San Pedro, I think this might be Homeport Cafe. I haven't found it, but many coastal towns have restaurants, hotels and other businesses titled "Homeport" to utilize the local ambience.
I don't have the name of the cafe, but I have found the location of the service station. By lining up the features of the hill behind it, and the house on the hill which is visible in the background, I see in a current picture that the property is now the location of J & J Body Shop, which is located at 837 N. Pacific. The auto body business may have more land than the old service station and perhaps the numbering has changed. The house on the hill, while changed somewhat, is still there.

I also ran searches on the owners of the service station. George William Story was born in Missouri in November of 1889. He was located by information he put down on his WWII draft card which shows him as being the owner of a service station. That station is different than the one shown in the old picture and was located at 692 W. 7th St., San Pedro.

I did not find any background on Ray Johnson, but will keep trying.