View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanine-Commuter View Post
So a response in sarcasm = Phil was right.
Oh, is that how it works? Gimme a break.

I simply prefer NYC's and Chicago's skylines over any other major city's in the world. As wrabbit said above, "NYC & Chicago have encyclopedic skylines that cover pretty much the entire chronological gamut of the skyscraper form" and as stratosphere said, "The saying "Often immitated, never duplicated" is right for NYC and Chicago. These two have it all: beauty, density, mass, height, elongation, architectural diversity that spans through the history of skyscrapers, and so many architectural gems found no where on earth." These opinions represent what I happen to think defines what are the world's top skylines. Hong Kong has a great skyline, but truly lacks some of these characteristics... also, it does not have the physical breadth that NYC and Chicago both have, due to HK being hemmed in by mountains, which offers a very dramatic and beautiful backdrop, but limits breadth. NYC and Chicago defined the skyscraper and skyline form long ago and I still think they do it the best. Will I be able to say the same in two, three, four decades from now? Maybe not. But for now, I think that the others are still behind and NYC and Chicago are simply just more pleasing to me.

We're talking about opinion here. It's my opinion... no more, no less. Does that make me a biased American chauvinist (as Phil feels so certain of) because I personally happen to find NYC's and Chicago's skylines more impressive overall than Hong Kong's for the above mentioned reasons? Please, save it for someone with less brain power. Am I biased in my thinking that NYC and Chicago still remain the paradigm and others are still catching up? Maybe so, maybe not. Who cares? Either way, it's a matter of personal taste. If you don't like it because it flies in the face of your personal opinion, then too bad. People on here who cannot understand that need to grow a sack and accept it, without invoking something like "You only think that way because you're American". How f-ing presumptuous is that?! Employing that BS is the exact same type of stereotypical generalization that others often accuse of Americans of displaying.

Last edited by pj3000; Mar 22, 2010 at 6:06 PM.