View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Love, love, love those pics, ethereal. I'm sure I mentioned it before, but the Miracle Mile holds a special place in my heart, being that I lived there as a small child, from 1974 to 1977 (me being age 4 to age 7), on South Cochran Avenue. I attended Cathedral Chapel Catholic School for first grade, which is still located at Cochran and 8th. The Lee Tower, though ugly, is still in my memory as it could be seen from our house, which itself, after having driven by it recently has been hideously painted and now has a black iron fence around the front yard; just awful. I still remember the Lee Tower being a bright turquoise color, I don't know why it had to be painted black. It didn't improve the look; even as a child, I didn't like the turquoise color. And even after my family moved to Cerritos (yawn), we would still go into LA to shop at the May Company on Wilshire and Fairfax or go to the Century City Mall when it was still a more "regular" mall with a Clifton's and the Broadway department store and Bullock's, and visit our friends who still lived on Cochran.

I remember the moat and fountains around LACMA. But from what I've read, the moat leaked, or something, and was later filled in and replaced with a sculpture garden, and of course the 1986 building (originally called the Robert O. Anderson building, now called the Art of the Americas building or something) completely changed the look of the Wilshire frontage of the place.
I first saw LACMA in the summer of 1967 and it was beautiful. The buildings seemed to be floating on those ponds. The current version, to the extent it has a theme of any kind at all, looks downright Stalinist.