View Single Post
Old Posted May 29, 2006, 6:02 AM
Because I'm Clever!

6WTC, the last of the plaza office buildings. However, this one has some differences. For one reason or another, Yamasaki chose not to implement the same lace-like exterior facade that he used on 4 and 5. Instead he went for something more sturdy (even though there's more glass) and corporate/government. It's lacking the typical Yamasaki delicate touch and replaces it with something more generic, almost van der Rohe-like. It'd be interesting to know why, as there seems to be a story behind all the buildings. Like the hotel I'm working on now. It was planned to open with the rest of the complex in 1973-74, but because of a spat between the PA and a city official, the bureaucrat held up 3WTC until he was out of office. Only then were plans drawn up, by SOM, for the hotel, which opened in 1981.

That addition to 4WTC I mentioned above. I'm not sure what it's use was, but like the 2nd mechanical pentouse in 5WTC, it was added late in the life of the Center. Mid-late 90's, perhaps an upgrade to the complex's electronic systems, which were straining.

After the Custom's House was done, I decided to fix up the plaza. All the buildings were getting photo-real and the plaza was dragging it all down. Amazing what a few trees and some pink lines can do, eh?

The beginning of 3WTC. This one will be tricky. The facade is very flat and that angled part will be an annoyance.