View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2009, 7:24 PM

I totally agree with you viva. There is already a park directly west of Rush that seems to only cater to the homeless and the staff smokers at Rush (since on campus smoking is no longer aloud). I also agree with you that these buildings are architecturally important as well as historically important. Some of these buildings date back to the mid 1800's and represent a modern (well somewhat Victorian looking) era of medicine.

I also don’t see how any amount of park space or even adding nice restaurants to the mix could ever change this area. With most inner city hospital comes inner city problems, poverty, crime, drugs, etc. As much potential as I believe this area could have, I think it will always be plagued by the same issues.

To answer your question, the part of the hospital known as the super block is slated for demolition. This consist of the Rawson, Jones, Murdock, and Senn buildings. If you go to Google street view and look north on Harrison St., the 15 story Jelke building will be the furthest west structure still standing after the demolition.

The part labeled H is currentlly where the "super block" resides, and will eventually be the park area.

Also, Hydrogen, I am continually impressed by how much knowledge you have of all of these projects! That is awesome