View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 1:42 AM

I went opening night. I want to Echo exactly what NY Guy say.

First, the lines outside. Skip them. Here's a pro-tip for how to visit:

What they want you to do is queue on Vessey street, until they open one of two queues (ex. 7:00pm and 7:15pm) where you then wait in another line before entering and descending to yet another line. You can skip both by entering from the West street tunnel entrance (the tunnel linking the PATH to the Financial Center / Brookfield Place) at your designated arrival time. You'll cut the line of everyone waiting outside and upstairs and the wait will only be about 10 minutes to security. Don't show up early and wait around. Just come right when you're supposed to and you can walk right in. The people outside said that entrance was closed but it was a lie.

Next, all the damn people sitting in the window really killed it for me.

Here is a photo of the observation deck in 2 WTC:

Source: C.Y.Leow

The way they did it was perfect. You could sit and face out the window, you could get up close, or you could stand behind and see above the people next to the windows. There were also places to sit.

The new One World Observatory has none of those things. So instead you have hundreds of tourists who camp out in a window and just sit there... They sit on their phones texting and not even looking outside.

The City Pulse things have got to go. They take up a ton of space, and the screens are obnoxiously bright. Look up at the tower at night from anywhere within a few miles and you can see the north and south corners lit up from those damn things. Also, since the building is turned 45 degrees at the top from the base, the only view directly up town is from 2 small windows squeezed behind a City Pulse. I had to wait and squeeze in a line of people to get a chance to look out that window and even then I had to lean over some teenaged girl who was just sitting in the window texting her friends.

The food options were also pretty bad. You had either a super expensive restaurant, a moderately expensive bar, or the casual eatery which was small and only had some pastries, and some probably overpriced "artisan" pizzas and pre-made sandwiches. Again there was pretty much no seating available, instead just a few standing bar tops.