View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2012, 5:31 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

The neighborhood in question (fortunately) weathered the past half-century while keeping its industrial-building vibe intact. Now what is needed is redevelopment of the several surface lots as well as open-air substation in the area.

While a quiet area, 13th St. is home to two major local food destinations: Cafe Loft and the Prohibition Taproom. The revamped Trestle Inn at 11th and Callowhill is another major draw, as is the Institute further north (at 12th and Green, I think)--the area is fast becoming a draw with or without a Reading Viaduct. Galleries and performing arts centers litter the area. The vibe here is, I think, a lot like Chelsea back in the days when the High Line was just a gleam in the Friends' eyes*.

IMO the Viaduct is a key historic asset but one obsolete w/r/t its original purpose. It's actually quite perfect for developing an elevated park--in some ways, even more so than the High Line (a significant distance to the west of the 8th Ave. line). I favor landbanking it (mowing it periodically) until the organizations mature and start building their own pilot projects and funding bases--again, a la the Friends.
* Except for the politics. Oh, God, the politics. Chinatown is the next neighborhood south, and it has an imperial complex. It's long eyed Callowhill for expansion** while the loft-dwellers attracted to the postindustrial vibe have fought back. BTW the NID thing became a Center City-v-Chinatown thing. Center City may have lost that battle, but they are far from losing the war.
** While ignoring the fields of empty lots between 7th and 8th St. and along the south side of Vine west of 12th.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)