View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 6:16 PM

Winnipeg City Transit/Rapid Transit

Hello everyone!

Newbie here!

I happened to stumble across this site and have to say I enjoy reading the threads on this forum.

Born and raised in Winnipeg! I have to say I've always enjoyed living here however at times I feel frustrated with this city knowing that it can become so much more then what it already is. There have been many changes over the years that have shown progress however one that has been lacking many years now and still is to this very day is our city transportation.

I am frankly fed up with the way this city has been dealing with this "Major" issue. I've been a frequent rider now for almost 2 years and cannot believe how horrible are transit system is.

I researched our past history on transportation and can't believe what we use to have. Looked at pictures of what it once was and have to say it looked friggin cool! What has happened to this city? I know there's priorities that the city and province need to deal with first (ex: roads, bridges, community centers, etc.) however we cannot forget how important transportation is to a city.

There have been talks for many years now regarding how we'll be able to implement Rapid Transit and what will work and what will not. We've spent a lot of time and money on this and where have we gotten with it???

If this city wants to promote a new image for itself and truly help global warming environment issues (as it's now become a great concern globally) we need to start making some noise people.........

We have money that's being put into place for a superplex development in the Bronx community center.....why? ( I call it a superplex because this is “NOT” what a community park is suppose to be) I understand the center has deteriorated and needs rejuvenation but you can't tell me we need a building facility that's going to accommodate public activities that are already a short distance away (ex: YMCA, Gateway, etc.) This money has been taken from our Transportation fund to help do what? If the city honestly thinks that by building a superplex community center in the Bronx Park is going to help redevelop its community with recreation sports activities, it may work for a while but I can't see it working long term. Develop a new club house but not to what the proposal is asking for it’s friggin ridiculous.

This is money that is not being spent well at all.

City complains how expensive it is to implement Rapid Transit and that we don’t have the money for it. However, what they don't seem to understand is that..... Yes, it is expensive and it will always be expensive however the longer this gets placed on hold the more expensive it's going to be due to inflation. Why put it on hold? Why have a target plan of possible implementing it in 10 to 20yrs.....what good does that do for our city? It completely boggles my mind.

I asked a bus driver yesterday when we're suppose to get the new articulated buses? He didn't want say because he was almost embarrassed to tell me that it looks like we're not going see them until close to the end of the year when we were originally suppose see them arrive apparently this spring after the redevelopment of the bus depot’s which is to accommodate the new longer buses.

How much time and money was put into Rapid Transit Task Force? Honestly, how effective was that really? Got a team put together, all did there research came up with a pretty decent proposal and then got turned down. Why? Because there are other priorities to address first before we can think about implementing Rapid Transit. Hello!?!?!? So you’re saying City Transportation is not important? Give me a friggin break!

I went to a Moose game last Friday decided to hop on the bus for the first time as I usually drive to the games and I have to say that was one of my worst experiences ever! Going to the game was ok.........however after the game was finished try to catch a bus on the way home was a joke!

I had to wait for the number 11. There were a ton of people waiting for this bus. One shows up??? Everyone pushed and shoved their way on the bus which was already packed as is. The bus driver didn't even seem impressed. Why? Why only one bus? Especially after an event like that. I just don't get it.....

I can rant and go on with this for hours. It just makes me sick! By writing this, I wanted to actually see how many people feel the same way that I do……….

Rapid Transit would do wonders for this city and I can't believe to this day we're still fighting with it. Will it ever see the light of day? We don't need it in 10yrs-20yrs............ We need it now!

Nuff said.

Last edited by Alva360; Mar 7, 2007 at 7:10 PM.