View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I can totally buy having a campus extend from the Lower Strip to Schweitzer Loch. It helps that Buncher owns the land on both sides of the bridge, and the 16th Street Bridge isn't terrible from a pedestrian standpoint. Plus there are (or soon will be) hundreds of apartment units within a few block radius of both sites.

Integrating the Lower Hill into this would be harder, IMHO. Even post deck-park, it's going to be pretty circuitous to walk from there to the Strip due to topography and 579. I also anticipate there would be a lot of community opposition to Amazon filling up the Lower Hill, because the gentrification of the Hill District would become a certainty. Of course the hundreds of affordable units would be protected for decades to come, but everything else would not.
Strangely enough, I have an idea in mind for how you could tie together the Lower Hill, Strip, and Schweitzer Loch, with possibly further connections into the North Side, Oakland, and so on . . . .

The portions of the Lower Hill site closest to Downtown were always supposed to be office highrises. Would Amazon necessarily be worse than most tenants, or would they just accelerate the ultimate end state?