View Single Post
Old Posted May 7, 2017, 7:18 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Spain has a similar population to Canada with a similar mix of large and small cities yet it has a very successful domestic league, arguably the richest and most entertaining one in the world. This league could evolve in many different ways, uniquely adapted to Canada's needs, give it a chance indeed.

The main purpose of this league in the short to medium term is to develop local talent, while building the requisite national professional soccer infrastructure and culture. Kids will finally be able to take soccer seriously as a career path within this country. One of the main problems our national team has experienced is that we produce talented players, they go overseas at a young age for pro soccer opportunities, then get dual citizenship and we lose them forever to foreign soccer programs as their domestic.

I for one look forward to watching and supporting some of the new small market teams that pop up and tickle my fancy while simultaneously watching my local MLS team for a slightly different experience.