View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 12:31 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
WHY do you say this? what are you facts or info about this?
look I don't know how brightline/VIRGIN make there money/profits
but the new florida governor is going to have NONE of what you say.
also why not add SUN rail & TRI rail & brightline together.
http://news.wjct.org/post/rail-line-...a-gets-boost-0
nice linky
It is slightly early to judge whether Brightline will be profitable or not - mainly because the bread-and-butter profit making city pair is not in service yet. If the train is still losing money a year or two after servicing Orlando - then will be the time to start discussing Brightline's bankruptcy and what the state should do with it next.

We're like discussing the profitability of the Panama Canal after the Gatun Dam and Lake has been built but before the Culebra Cut had been dug. There's no way it could ever be profitable until the entire Canal was built spanning all the way from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

Likewise, we're going to see the same scenario in California with CHSR. The bread-and-butter profit making city pair will be San Francisco to Los Angeles (or at least the Bay Area to Southern California). Do not expect profits or even close to it until these two metros are connected - which could be decades after the initial leg is built.

While I understand large construction projects are built in stages, it is not fair to judge its effectiveness until why it is being built in the first place is built and in service. I personally think CHSR is making a huge mistake not building the more expensive tunnels first to complete the line between Southern California and the Bay Area with a train service without using buses. While building the Central Valley first and getting high speed trains into service as quickly as possible may have some positive political slaps in the back, it's usefulness of actually moving people by trains between the Bay Area and Southern California is still close to zero while lying upon buses to finish the journey.

Last edited by electricron; Dec 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM.