View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 8:47 PM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Seattle had about five times the per capita transit commute share by comparing central cities via the 2016 ACS.
What does "Central City" mean? If that is talking about downtown commuting only then of course Seattle will crush San Diego because it probably has 3 times the amount of jobs in its downtown. Just look at the skyline Seattle has waaay more office space. If it is talking about commuting to job centers other than downtown than that is impressive.

I know this is an urban forum and we all want to see cities have more people using transit. Maybe with SD the traffic simply hasn't gotten that bad yet? I've heard driving in Seattle can be really rough at times. Maybe San Diego is where LA traffic was in 2004 and Seattle was in 2008. We just haven't hit that breaking point yet where enough people say "Christ my commute is horrendous there must be another way!!!". Perhaps that is coming soon.

** Perfect example: LA in 2008 with Measure R. Ten years ago they said resoundingly YES PLEASE TAX US! Lol. So look at all the transit projects that came from that. Traffic in SD simply isn't bad enough for people to be willing to pay for a Measure R type thing.