View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I got you beat. We have very long generation times in my family. I'm 61 and I don't expect to be a grandparent for at least another 5-7 years.

My mother was born in 1917, and my father born in 1909.

My maternal grandmother died in the great flu pandemic of 1918, and my mother was subsequently sent home to PEI to be raised by her own grandparents, who themselves were born in the early 1860s (pre-Confederation).

As such, my mother's social mores were shaped by being raised by individuals born in the mid 19th century. It was always fascinating hearing stories told to my mother (when she was a child) by her grandparents - stories now nearly 150 years old.
Having known three of my four grandparents, I've often been struck by the fact that they were basically Victorians (all born in the 1880s), two from old Anglo-Quebec and one from rural northeastern Scotland, and all of them very Presbyterian. In my mother's case, the greatest influence, apart from her parents, was the Great Depression.

For those being born today, I am somewhat less optimistic than others. Their lives will be dominated by technology, for better and for worse. All bets are off, however, when in the 2040s the USA and China go to war. If it's not contained ....