View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:04 AM

AC Hotel (Marriott) | 130' | 13 floors | U/C

This doesn't seem to have been reported anywhere, so you read it here first. Pre-application conference [PDF] for a new AC by Marriott hotel, on the vacant lot at SW 3rd & Taylor (near the mall - same block as Luc-Lac). 13 storys, 130' tall, 204 rooms, quarter block. Architects are SERA. I hadn't heard of this brand before, so I looked into it, and here's how Marriott's Global Brand Officer describes it:

Quote:
As a select-service product, AC Hotels will play in the same space as Marriott’s SpringHill Suites and Courtyard brands. King downplayed any concerns about cannibalization in that moderately priced segment.

“We’re not going to build a brand if we don’t believe there is a market,” he said. “There is a market for this design-led sensibility that consumers are seeking out.”

AC Hotels serves guests looking for a sleeker, more chic experience in their select-service hotel stays. The brand’s public spaces will feature a bistro and bar, as well as a curated collection of locally sourced art that gives the vibe of a trendy art house or museum.
Sounds like Marriott's attempt to compete with Starwood's W Hotels, or Hyatt's Andaz, but at a lower price point. Would be a great addition to downtown. That corner needs some love.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Aug 23, 2014 at 2:21 AM.