View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I thought this was SUPER dead? Huh. I hate all these riverfront "plazas". They're ugly. Trump's is bad enough. God forbid we end with another! Yuck.
I like Trump's riverwalk. It's compact, clean, offers great views, a few places to rest, and is extremely walkable. Even without retail or any tangible attractions, I usually see a decent amount of people (tourists and locals) hanging around and snapping shots.

Once Wrigley's 'screen' is removed from N Michigan Ave, I think we'll see more people funnel into the Wrigley Arcade/Trump Plaza which should (hopefully) attract some cafes and shops along that route. Would be a great "natural" outgrowth from the Boul Mich foot traffic.

To go back OT, I don't see the connection to this project's podium/plaza with Trump. Remember 2 things: River Point has to contend with the partially grade-level railroad tracks on the lot, AND the obligation to build a riverwalk along the actual river. Factor in the 250 parking spaces they seem intent on stuffing in, and the podium is surprisingly tame. I hate the blank wall that Lake Street gets, but at least the pedestrian experience looks to be serviceable along Canal St. (It is a bit too stair-happy for my tastes, though).

Realistically, how would you tackle those design hurdles? Their solution certainly isn't perfect, but I think the offenses are relatively benign given the quality of the rest of the tower.