View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
There aren't very many lines that make sense as being entirely elevated, and monorails only have advantages when elevated. Also, monorails (instead of LRT/HRT) reside systemwide operational flexibility.
This is why I come to forums... I learn so much from differing points of view and I'm coming to terms with the fact that The word "Monorail" seems to have a certain view in many people's eyes... it's not Sexy.. it has a branding problem. One is "Rail," the other is Mono-rail." It's like people hearing "marriage" and then "gay-marriage," and then a whole can of worms opens. How about we come up with a new name for it... we can call it the "Single Track Train." We can say... I would like to propose a single track train from LAX to Union station. Maybe people will hear this differently.

I was actually talking with a friend and she didn't get that a people mover does not equal Monorail. The only difference between a Single track and a double track train is the positioning of the rail from either verticals or horizontal. You can have light to medium to high capacity Single track trains. I think most people when they hear Monorail, they think light capacity, slow, short distance "people movers" like what are at airports and in the downtowns of Miami, Jacksonville and Detroit. The misconception is that most "people movers" are actually dual track and not monorail/single track.

I'm actually grateful now for the comments that happened earlier because now I know that the word "monorail" triggers people, and so I will now refer to it as "Single track train" or "ST," no more "M" word. Example: Let's take the ST!!! A city can have a Heavy rail, light rail, ST rail, SOOOOOO GOOD!!! I want to create a presentation to present to the mayor about a corridor for Single track train in LA and am so grateful for this new branding. Thank you SSP Forum and Forumers and canucklehead2 for starting this thread. This is truly a place where ideas flow

Last edited by hughfb3; Jul 11, 2017 at 7:52 AM.