View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 10:40 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This is an odd opinion, IMO.

There is no difference between an apartment in a "supertall" by SSP terminology and a regular highrise apartment.

The local market is the local market. There aren't separate markets for buildings based on relative height.

Outside of the world of SSP, there's absolutely no difference between marketing a regular highrise apartment and marketing a supertall apartment.

Folks in the real world don't care about these distinctions. It's all just tall buildings, and doesn't really matter if 30, 50, or 70 floors. The issues are location, amenities, finishes, views, taxes, etc.
I should have been more clear. The supertall designation is indeed arbitrary and I didn't distinguish between that term and the multiple proposals for these very large, high-end residential towers in Midtown. Residential towers over 700 feet are in a pretty exclusive group, even in New York. I don't see how the public perception is relevant though. These developers are not trying to market themselves or their units to the general public, but instead to investors and wealthy buyers.

I think in some sense there are different markets for types of units, but within Midtown certainly there is less of a distinction because everything is to some degree tall. The quality of the units and the price points may be similar in a building of any height, its just the sheer volume. Building and financing a 30 story tower is a lot more complex than a 70 story one, and there are a lot more units to move too. Its the feasibility of the project that I'm referring too, especially in the context of a lot of similar/identical competition.