View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:53 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
This topic annoys me so much lol. I've no idea why it's so high here. I understand completely why people don't declare Irish or English. We've been here forever now. I don't understand how that so effortlessly translates into declaring Canadian ethnicity for so many Newfoundlanders.

In my census division it's 51.8% Canadian ethnicity. Only 1% wrote in Newfoundlander. We definitely need a campaign here to make people consciously think about what they're choosing. In polls we consistently show the vast majority considers themselves Newfoundlanders first, Canadian second (if at all). We need to back that up in census data too.
Why do you assume they're not consciously choosing 'Canadian' as the one that fits best? It's only natural that over time people feel more Canadian. Cultural influence and ties are strengthening while people move back and forth. It just means that the province is gradually integrating. I'm not sure why that's such a terrible thing. Newfoundland did vote to join Canada.