View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
This reporter seems to think growth within city limits is the more telling number...reporters typically don't get this stuff.
A rapid increase or decrease in city population tells a lot about the health of a city. The rapid intensification occurring in the city of Toronto is fascinating to me as a trained urban planner. What is the impacts to public transit transit? Is the more compact growth having a positive impact on the city's finances compared to the cost of servicing low density sprawl? Is the rapid growth changing existing neighborhoods or is gentrification causing displacement?

While metro populations are important, I'm rarely impressed with how some forum members use this metric: almost like it's pissing match every year when the numbers are released. I don't necessarily care that one metro is sprawling more than another. What's much more interesting to me is how neighborhoods and cities are changing. The metro area populations is a small component of that story, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

The author of the article presented both city proper and metro populations, so what are you even talking about anyway?