View Single Post
Old Posted May 26, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I'm starting to think carbon capture is the only way to reduce global CO2 concentrations, after all it's obvious we are not going to reduce emissions enough, and if we put all our eggs in that basket we are doomed to failure.

But the question always has to be asked - how do we pay for it? The 'no carbon tax, technology will save us!' people are always silent on this, but without a financial disincentive to produce CO2 or an incentive to capture it, carbon capture will never be financially sustainable. Unless someone manages to make it so cheap that they can sell liquid captured hydrocarbon cheaper than fossil fuels.
You certainly DON’T want to put all your eggs in one basket. And any group that is saying we should only deal with this issue in one way is showing that it has another agenda.

I think it’s too soon to tell just how big a role carbon capture can play, but it’s going to be significant and with each of these advances its potential is getting bigger and bigger. And remember that there is a market for CO2, and there are other potential markets as well. So the question becomes how do we develop those markets, and how can we bring down the cost of captured CO2 to further increase demand for it. And I think a modest and appropriate carbon tax can be an important tool in this process.

BTW, this is exactly the kind of problem the Carbon XPrize was created to solve.
https://www.xprize.org/prizes/carbon