View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:34 PM

I'm surprised that nobody's included buses from my hometown yet... although New York's buses really aren't that interesting with respect to color schemes. The current blue stripe on a white base is based on a design from the late 1970s which has changed very little up to this day:

It actually looks decent on the newest Orion hybrid buses -- I guess that's because of the exterior frameless windows which make the bus look a bit "sleeker".

In 2008, the MTA unveiled "Select Bus Service" (basically a half-baked "bus rapid transit" idea) on the Bx12 route, which necessitated its own color scheme to differentiate "select" buses from ordinary ones. Unfortunately, it didn't come out very well -- just a confused collection of blue waves and "+" symbols, with an oversized MTA logo (so nobody's confused as to who operates the bus, I guess...?)

Although up until a few years ago, there were a number of private bus companies operating in New York City, each with their own unique color scheme. But they've all been absorbed into the MTA, with all buses either repainted into the traditional blue and white or retired.

Photos are my own; click to enlarge.

I go to college in Los Angeles, and I'm much more impressed with the Los Angeles Metro's choice of color schemes -- their livery is simple, yet it stands out. But that's just my opinion.