View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:08 AM

Options for O'Hare Expansion

For some reason, I just find it fun to think of ideas of how to modify the O'Hare airport layout to find other solutions for expansion. I offer these ideas for you to discuss.

For larger versions of these images, you can see them at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/364574...7692394231255/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/364574...7692394231255/

Moved Runway
I've taken runway 4L-22R from its current location near Concourse C going northeast and moved it to west in between the fuel tanks and maintenance area. I shortened this runway from its current 7500ft to 7000ft. I've shortened runway 9C-27C on the west end to accommodate the new runway shift.

Pros:
  • Runway 4L-22R no longer intersects the main runways of 9C-27C (to be created) and 9R-22L which will be lengthened to handle jumbo jets.
  • New (moved) runway 4L-22R can now be used for northeast takeoff and landing. Currently this runway is not used, but not decommissioned either.
  • By moving the runway, the center of the airport space becomes open for development. Other diagrams proposed by the city usually show building structures accommodating this runway, which is not efficient.

Cons:
  • Cost of moving the runway is expensive.
  • More land must be purchased
  • The moved runway intersects 9L-27R, which isn't necessarily bad. The intersection happens near the express ramp off 27R, so some engineering is needed to fix this. I don't expect this to be a showstopper.
  • The new traffic route takes the planes over Maine West High School and several houses. Naturally there will be more noise from airplanes taking off, and politicians will need to address a solution.

Core Taxiway changes
Now that runway 4L-22R has been moved, and runway 14R-32L will be decommissioned, we can use those pieces to create new taxiways for the core terminals. The taxiways below concourses G and F will continue to extend toward taxiway and runway 14R-32L to form the new A and B taxiways for the core terminal. The inner taxiway will go northwest, and then curve to meet the end of the "former" 4L-22R runway. The outer taxiway will take the same course, and meet up at a proposed taxiway as designed during the O'Hare modernization program. Now terminals 1 and 2 can expand.

Terminal 1
The following changes happen here:
  • There is enough apron space to create another through-taxiway system of the same size between concourses B and C to place on the west end of C. These taxiways are 400ft wide, allowing 2x200ft taxiways.
  • There is enough space to create a new concourse D. This will house several jumbo jets. I estimate you can get 18+ planes at this concourse.
  • Concourse C loses its jumbo jets in the middle to accommodate the new taxiways. Maybe some smaller planes can fit in that space.
  • Concourse C can extend north some more to create more gates.
  • Concourse D would link up to concourse C via tunnel. D is now distant from B, so you may need a tram system to carry people faster. Concourse C may want a northern tunnel to go to B.
  • The RJ's in concourse F move to concourse B (see Terminal 2 plans). This makes some passengers who use RJs to go quicker from curb to plane. Now United is all in one terminal.
  • (Optional) If Concourse B is used primarily for RJs, you may be able to shrink the apron to allow expansion of the terminal facility and baggage area by 25-50ft. I presume the terminal building needs to expand at the ends to allow a couple more baggage carousels.

Terminal 2
The following changes here:
  • The taxiway change allows concourse E to extend further. I tried to maximize the apron space, and created another "Y". The outsides of the "Y" have 200ft aprons (standard), and the inner "Y" has a 150ft apron, usable for Delta Connection's RJs.
  • In between concourses E and F will be straight 150ft taxiways as opposed to the angular taxiways.
  • Concourse E gets 10+ new gates. This is enough to move Jet Blue, Frontier, Spirit, and maybe another carrier to concourse E. Now terminal 2 is used for all "other" airlines. Concourse L frees up for American to use.
  • The taxiways between concourses F and G can really only allow RJs or very small mainline aircraft. So, you really can't use concourse F for anything other than RJs. I propose that American can move many of its RJs (not in G) to F. This now frees up other gates for American to reconfigure for mainline or jumbo jets (jumbo only applies at the extremities of H, K, and L)

Takeaways:
  • If you look at the latest proposal from the city where they add a new concourse west of runway 14-32, you'll see that they keep the core intact, but don't address how the facilities will handle the new remote concourses. My guess is that the airport doesn't want to undertake a radical change away from the core infrastructure as that would be too costly. I like my proposal as it keeps the core intact, but just adds on.
  • United and American get large increases in gate expansion for both airlines. Theoretically, American gets more gates, but both may get the same apron space.
    • American gets 5 gates at L (airline moves), plus 5 gates currently being built. American also gets 20+ gates at concourse F, for a total of 30 gates. American may reconfigure some gates to handle larger planes, which may mean a loss of gates at some concourses.
    • United gets 20-22 new gates at concourse D, plus 5-8 gates in C expansion for about 30 gates. United will have to manipulate its gates to move the RJs, and the jumbo gates at C are changed to handle smaller planes.
  • United gets a nice new concourse, concourse D. They will have to solve the increase in passenger traffic and security flow in the terminal.
  • American may not exclusively like the idea that concourse D and E are new, whereas their facilities still look old. It is possible that the modernization program will redo all of Terminal 2, at a large expense, so that American gets a new concourse F.
  • American will need to start a shuttle bus service from concourse F to its other concourses.
  • All the other airlines are consolidated at Terminal 2.
  • I couldn't figure out a way to make an international customs terminal at Terminal 2. I suppose you can reconfigure the Concourse E extension to handle jumbo jets, but you do so at the expense of apron space, which takes away opportunities to add gates for other airlines.

Thoughts?