View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 10:25 PM
Pay it Forward

I think this one has teeth if they can move it away from the lake. There's a lot of development going on around Grand Av/B'way/Telegraph including the massive uptown project..a taller tower around there wouldnt ruffle so many feathers.

From the article.
Quote:
But the project already has its foes. Preservationists and residents who live near the parcel at 222 19th St. say the building is too tall for the neighborhood and it would require bulldozing a historic garden.

"It's drawing a lot of attention because one of the best things Oakland has is the lake," said Mike Bowman, whose fourth-floor apartment overlooks both the lake and the historic Schilling Gardens. "Every morning, people run and walk around the lake.... If this and other buildings like it go up ... the lake will be a pond in the center of tall buildings."

O'Keeffe also believes Lake Merritt is Oakland's jewel, but that's why it's such a good location for luxury condominiums. It would attract new residents with disposable incomes to spend money at restaurants and stores and provide more eyes on the street to help fight crime.

He and his partner, Roy Guinnane, plan to build new paths, landscaping and lighting at the adjacent Snow Park as well as a cafe and restaurant and spa in the tower, which would be open to the public.

Councilwoman Nancy Nadel, whose district includes the western side of Lake Merritt, said she believes the tower might be better located on Broadway. Preservationists hope O'Keeffe will be willing to do a land swap to locate the high-rise away from the lake's edge.

Nadel said the city's general plan provides no height restrictions on the lake's western edge. In September, city planners are expected to propose guidelines, which would then go to zoning officials and the City Council.

"What's driving my interest is establishing some controls on building heights around the Lake," Nadel said. "The community felt there needed to be some guidance that allows some height, preferably not right against the lake, something that protects the view corridors and prevents shadows onto the lake."
off topic but what the hay,
That 8 Orchids development on B'way next to 880 looks like the exterior is near complete. Wonder how much the units will run?

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost