View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 5:41 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
Personally I think Main Street should stay Main Street. But I would like to offer a couple alternatives to "East Temple". How about "Olympic Boulevard", "Crossroads Street", "Industry Avenue", or "Gravitas Avenue"?

I vote a big no on "Olympics Boulevard" . We spent years of work trying to get the SLC Metro up to snuff for the Olympics and then years until the opening of City Creek Center in trying to fully rebuild Salt Lake City to our vision of it for the Olympics.

I like to think that by 2012 with the opening of City Creek Center and the later TRAX Airport line in 2013 that Salt Lake City can firmly move beyond the vision it set for itself during the Olympic period and that we can see a new period of stability within the city where we aren't trying to necessitate our retail or infrastructure. I'm officially calling the period of time that will follow the completion of I-15 CORE in Utah County and the Opening of City Creek Center as the "The New Stability."

This isn't to say that I don't want improved infrastructure or developments downtown, but that I'm excited for more of these developments to represent a vision for ourselves after the Olympics and that many of the new infrastructural improvements will be located outside of the areas where we would like to start seeing the city recover (areas that we thought had recovered during the 70's and 80's).

We've moved beyond the challenge we set for ourselves before the Olympics and dwelling on some kind of nostalgia doesn't keep our vision looking forward nor is it profitable for a city with a vision for greater things. "Olympics Boulevard" might as well be called "Has Been Boulevard."