View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:35 PM
sick transit, gloria

I prefer to live in a house, or house-scaled structure (rowhouse, 3-5 storey building with multiple apartments). I also wouldn't mind living in a mid-rise up to about 8 storeys in a good location. Basically low enough that you can easily take the stairs if need be.

The highest I've lived was on the 12th floor, but in an older condo building with slowwwwww elevators. It got extremely annoying to go outside to grab something at the corner store and so on. May sound petty but I like to be able to get outside easily. If I'm going to experience that may as well be as high up as possible (50+ storeys).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I want to be low enough for a ladder truck or have a patio and parachute. Just in case. I'd probably die anyway but don't want to burn at height. So as high as possible in TO. Here, 4-6.
Unless something absolutely catastrophic happens you probably aren't going to burn in a modern highrise (yes, we all know the exception). The Building Code is heavily focused on fire protection and preventing the spread of fire within modern multi-unit buildings. IIRC the only deaths in highrise fires in Ontario have been within the unit of ignition. So unless you fall asleep drunk with the stove on you'll probably be good! I'm sure your comment was at least a bit tongue-in-cheek but it would be safer to walk down a reinforced concrete stairwell than jump in an urban environment.