View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 12:33 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Brandon_cole,
You might want to read more of the prior posts regarding Perception, Laisser-Faire, letting cities evolve naturally, historical significance. More importantly, Ozone, mentions how rents are not necessarily cheaper in older buildings.

I care about historical buildings and preserving some of them. Just not all of them.

Quote:
To the above post: although I can only imagine the intimate connection that urinating on a building fosters, I am certain that there are countless individuals, both living and dead, whose memories and experiences in these buildings shaped their lives in profound ways. For that, it is reckless for those in a community to impose their will by demolishing a structure without a clear understanding of the building’s impact on others…
Not too long ago McDonalds completely demolished one of their older 70's style restaurants in my neighborhood. I had both memories and experiences at that restaurant as a kid. Is it reasonable for me to impose my will upon the owner of the building because that restaurant impacted me in profound ways? I think not.

Sidenote: Who hasn't relieved their lizard on the backside of an alley building when nature calls at 3 a.m. Once, while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on Highway 50 (road to Tahoe) I saw a 20 something woman, step out of an SUV filled with skiers, drop her pants to her ankles, squat, and urinate on the snow covered road. Steam rose. I'm sure the guys in the SUV have deep profound memories of that.