View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 2:40 AM
Fourth and Main

A great tour! Loved the WV mountain views as well as their cities. West Virginia is just all-around a great place to explore. I grew-up in a county (Henderson County) along the North Carolina / South Carolina state line and can say the Upstate is a beautiful area too.

I always enjoy seeing Winston-Salem (my favorite city). It's becoming more difficult to take gritty photographs of it downtown, with their tech boom. I consider that a good thing though. You can see the construction fence and renderings on the old power plant, showing what it will look like as an entertainment complex in January 2015. To find the good gritty buildings, I recommend exploring the area to the southeast of UNC School of the Arts. That area is a favorite of Urban Explorers and includes many steel mills too.

One of the more interesting parts of Winston-Salem is the Old Salem District, built around the mid-1700s, yet I never see it photographed on SSP. Do photographers here know about it? It's about three or four blocks south of the domed skyscraper and looks as if you just walked into New England. And while some cities have arches or spaceneedles, Winston-Salem has a 12 foot tall coffee pot from 1858 as its city symbol. It's over there as well.

South End of Winston-Salem's Downtown (Old Salem)

Source: CCD