View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
This would be very costly and would probably only be done for a major development that probably included help from the city, but Union Pacific could "sell" the air rights and allow a platform to be built over the tracks that could then be built on top of. From there, the city would have to make an exception to the zoning setbacks to allow for something taller to be built along that stretch.

Granted, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything like this happening here, but I could see something like this happen if all the parties wanted to take on a major project like this.
I've often thought this could be a great location for an intercity/high-speed rail station, as the tracks are already there, it would keep trains from having to cross the Willamette twice compared to Union Station (and avoid the road conflicts that entails), and it is still centrally located given its connection to the Rose Quarter TC. Send commuter trains (if they ever arrive) to Union Station, and the faster trains from Eugene/Seattle/Vancouver can stop on the east side without having to slow down for the crossing.

As a bonus, passengers arriving would have a killer view of downtown.