View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 2:09 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
If the Dome is built would that doom Legion Field? I sure hope not. It's a shame you can't put the GA Dome on wheels are bring it on down from Atlanta. What a waste in demolishing that.
Lord it's been a while since this threat has been updated. I think the forumers are so unused to so much activity they're not accustomed to updating regularly.

Anyways, VIA the BJCC's master plan, there probably won't be a dome constructed (I'll speak more about Legion Field below). Legacy Arena will be overhauled (capacity 17,000+) and the BJCC board plans to construct an open air stadium with a ~50,000 capacity stadium to house the city's new USL team, UAB football, Magic City Classic, and Birmingham Bowl.

There is MASSIVE focus on developing the 4 blocks that the BJCC set aside for a stadium. Meyor-elect is a Progressive and supports a new stadium, but he doesn't seem to be in favor of a dome... most likely an appropriately sized open-air stadium.

In the end, it would render Legion Field obsolete. It is a historical shame... it's not even designated a historical landmark. The problem is its location! If Legion Field were closer to downtown, who knows the level of football proclivity that would take shape at it...

What ever happens, I will probably cry when the Old Grey Lady goes down... I don't see the city maintaining it after it has constructed a new stadium in downtown.

And BTW, it is completely ridiculous that Atlanta is demolishing the Georgia Dome considering the stadium's youth. Any city the size of Birmingham, Louisville, Memphis, or Raleigh would pay any amount to bring it to their town.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State