View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:28 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
That's a scary thought. I don't like the idea of that many people living in this city. I would hope we could not sprawl anymore, but instead build highrises to accommodate all these people. Highrises all over, from William Cannon to Louis Henna. No more damn sprawl. I don't want us to be like Houston or Dallas; just suburban sprawl as far as the eye can see.
If you're worried about Austin looking like Houston or Dallas then you don't have to worry because it wont but we should take a better look at Atlanta now and start fixing some problems that it went through much earlier in our development stage. Austin by development is almost a baby version of Atlanta, strong downtown core but leap frog type of sprawl from there on out. Dallas and Houston have weak downtown cores but their sprawl is extensively continuous by development.

Austin's different then them because of the topography alone, its leading Austin to sprawl much differently. The highways/freeways are already an indication of what we need to work on, otherwise our traffic will compete with the best of them with Atlanta and Washington DC.