View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 8:17 PM

Translink spends money on more than transit.

Golden Ears, Port Mann, Patullo -- anyone familiar with those billion dollar projects?

Originally the local transit was a subsidiary of BC Hydro. A couple decades ago the GVRD, now Metro Vancouver, agreed to take responsibility for regional roads, bridges, and transit. In exchange the province took over hospitals and their associated debt. Translink and ____ Health Regions are a new construct.

I don't support the blocking of funding to Translink from property taxes. I do agree there are ways of funding Translink that are better than property taxes.

There's no need for amalgamation, and what's more amalgamation hasn't worked well in other Canadian cities imo. Dissolving Translink and trying to cooperate as individual cities would produce similarly poor results.

We just need a way to cooperate in a way that leads to stable benefits for one and all. As a starting point I would like to see a report of Translink's revenue, administration costs, operating costs, and capital spending over time -- in a way that highlights the location and type for each.

Everyone's feeling defensive and indignant, city councils have been fanning the flames. Let it be known who has been paying more than their fair share, and who has been getting a free ride -- and then move on.