View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 4:02 PM

The Sears Tower is not Michael Jackson - leave it black.

Really, the tower is iconic. How cannot somebody realize that? I don't think this will come to pass though. Figures it was a couple of New Yorkers that recommended this.

Couple of points - someday in the future, odds are the skyline will look very different with lots of supertalls and the like. In that future, when Sears has lost its place to some extent, something like this may very well be acceptable. In the present it is just silly. I know it is private property and all, but there is (beyond landmarking) some vague element of civic responsibility and respect for original design intent. I don't think we would paint the pyramids purple.... Silly analogy, but you get the drift.

You know, what is flying under the radar is the issue being raised, again, of building on the plaza surrounding Sears. I am not in favor. I am not a huge fan of plazas, but some are appropriate. And some are part of the urban fabric and should remain. Examples - I think building on the AMA plaza is just horrible. AMA, like Sears, is an outstanding building and the plaza there helps to show the building off (plus it was somewhat well utilized). On the other hand, the proposed plaza for 155 N Wacker is just silly. Leave the existing businesses alone and/or let them get developed privately into another building.

Regardless, Silver Sears - not in favor here. Building on Sears Plaza, also not in favor.