View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 6:30 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL View Post

The answer to this thread is very simple: NIMBYs not only exist in Portland, they run our regulatory boards. Every single building older than so many years is a historical landmark that not only must be preserved, but requires the entire nearby area to be preserved as well.

It's good to not rush into demolishing and rebuilding old buildings... but c'mon... we have some truly atrocious building downtown that are "too old to demolish".
Care to give an example of this? Nothing is coming to mind...plus my other question would be, what were they going to be replaced by?

Sure, the desire to preserve everything can become annoying from time to time, but overall I think it is worth it. I wish there was a stronger move for this sooner, maybe we wouldnt of lost so much of Oldtown, which at the time was seen as nothing more than an area of old buildings that were no longer important.

Quote:
It's not like the architects a century ago were God himself descending to earth and grace us with divine design.
No, but often times old architecture is torn down to be replaced with a parking lot or a very sterile building that loses all sense of craftsmanship that an old building had the luxury of using.