Thread: Halifax Retail
View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Well hopefully that popularity will be kept up all year round.
Then the store will do well and hopefully add another one.
I heard that waits are still over an hour to pay, which is incredible considering this is on a weekday and 4 days after they opened!

My hope is that Abercrombie & Fitch Co. will see the massive sales and open other stores in HSC like Abercrombie & Fitch, abercrombie kids, and Gilly Hicks. To be honest, I don't really want to see duplicates of any of these stores anywhere around here because I really don't want these brands to become American Eagle or Aeropostale... which you can find in every large mall in every city and will not attract people from elsewhere. Fortunately, I remember reading in an article a little while ago that Abercrombie & Fitch Co. wanted to expand only into Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax and Ottawa. They wanted to expand into the biggest city in every market (like Halifax in Atlantic Canada) so that these cities would have stores to serve that market, and their brands would always remain an upscale destination store. Aeropostale is a good example of what used to be a destination store. They opened in Halifax first and were drawing people from all over NB, PEI, and somewhat NFLD. Now they are in every city (Moncton, Saint John, etc.) and people do not come here from outside NS to shop at Aeropostale anymore. (Like American Eagle, Bath & Body Works, etc.)
I really hope they stick to this limited expansion plan, because they would benefit Halifax massively (in retail/economic terms), especially during Christmas season and back-to-school time when people will chose to shop in the cities with the biggest destination stores (like Halifax in Atlantic Canada).

Note:
There are currently 9 Hollister stores in Canada (all in the cities mentioned above, except Ottawa (at the moment), and smaller cities within close proximity to Greater Toronto).

There are 4 Abercrombie & Fitch stores in Canada (Toronto (2), Calgary, Edmonton).