View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
There must have been some renumbering over the past century, because 2203 Rogers no longer exists as an address. Today the house on the NE corner is at 720 Chicago and the next house on the north side of Rogers is 2215. Numerous houses in the area have build or effective build dates from the nineteen-aughts but generally a year or two after the purported date of the photographs. Clearly this is an interesting neighborhood for local historians, and one that doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. It's a mystery to be sure; a new and larger parcel often replaces several small contiguous house lots, but the house in the picture looks at least as big as anything on the street today. Still the writing on the back does say it's this intersection. It's not unheard of for personal snapshots to be labeled years after the fact; I wonder if there could have been a slight error in either the year or the address, or both?
Los Angeles GIS NET to the rescue again! 2215 Rogers Ave. (the house next door) was built in 1901, and as mentioned the distinctive diamond-shaped opening under the roof peak makes it clear that the current house is the same next-door neighbor as in the old photo.

The corner lot is now filled with 4 buildings - a single family house faces Rogers at #2209, two duplexes face Chicago St., and a third duplex sits in the back corner. The craftsman house on Rogers was built in 1912, two duplexes were built in 1915 and the third one was built in 1918. So the big beautiful house in the old photo has been gone for at least 95 years. I'm not sure if the space between the two houses in the old photo is large enough for the craftsman, or if the big house on the corner was more in the middle of the total available space. Looking at the duplex on the corner today, it doesn't seem to me like there is enough space there to fit the old house.