View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
i didn't hear that one but it is kinda humorous to think that the city would want to annex 4000 square kilometres of area (Calgary is about 800 sq kms) If the entire area was part of Calgary, I can't imagine the taxpayers out there tollerating a 2 tier level of municipal services.

All of these senarios presume that the newly annexed residents will demand equal access to calgary services:

Can you imagine the cost of providing an 8 minute fire response to Bottrel? that would entail at least one fully-staffed fire station who will spend their days cleaning and recleaning their gear (there are only seven houses out that way). Same problems with police -- going to need several cars outfitted with reading lamps. The cost of extending Access Calgary services (6 am to midnight / seven days a week) through the annexed region would be amusing. It takes an hour just to drive to the far corners of the County for a service that costs $55/hour to provide.

Truth is that Calgary cannot force a dissolution of another municipality. Creation and distruction of municipalities is the role of Alberta Municpal Affairs.

BTW I hear that both Rocky View and Wheatland held meetings today and both have chosen to opt out of the Calgary Municipal Pla as it is currently written.
I can't see the entire county being handed over to Calgary either. On the other hand if the province simply cut it up into some more manageable chunks and handed them over to the closest town or city it could work pretty well. Calgary wouldn't worry about Bottrel, Cochrqane or Cremona would.