View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
I agree to you to a certain degree. However, the second someone starts using a public space to the exclusion of others, such as using drugs, threatening people who do not given them money, or urinating on the side walk, is it truly a public space? The right to use public space in my opinion comes with an unwritten rule that you need to be respectful of everyone else using the public space.
This. All of this. There is this unspoken social contract when you are in a public space. If a homeless person is chilling with a cup and a sign asking for money, or playing music to try to gather some money, I have no issue with this. However, this issue lies with people who begin to violate this social contract by harassing people for money, harassing other homeless/transients, urinating in public, and partaking in smoking/drugs in public. I feel like I haven't lived in Denver long enough to know if issues have improved or not with time on the mall. However, even up through this past summer, we have had multiple incidents of people being attacked on the mall. Perhaps I should have been more specific in my previous statement, specifying my beef is with those who create issues for others on the mall. And yes, the public space is for everyone, which means everyone should be able to enjoy the space equally.