View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 4:21 AM

Not decayed...GENTRIFIED. I lived in inner NE Portland in the early 90's for awhile and believe me, the neighborhood is hardly recognizable. Back in those days, inner NE was predominatly African American with many thriving Black businesses and churches. The area was also unfortunately home to many ignorant and scared young people who felt the need to belong to local sets of the Bloods and Crips. Crack, Gangs, and Prostitution ran the streets of NE Portland with law abiding citizens and the police having little or no control. Things sure have changed...It's great that the neighborhood looks much cleaner and relatively safe. Although it is tough to see the heart of the small Black community in Portland almost gone, diverse neighborhoods allow for exposure and understanding between cultures ultimately benefiting people. Segregated communities promote ignorance due to a lack of intercultural relations. NE Portland is now home to people of myriad distinctions and is the easily the most diverse area in the state. I believe the change in NE Portland will be positive for all except of course for the people that sold their houses there for bottom dollar. An Independent film titled "Northeast Passage: The Inner city and the American Dream" documented the gentrification issue in NE Portland. You can also pick up a copy of Portland Hip Hop artist Cool Nutz' "Harsh game for the People" album to get a feel of what the area was like in the 90's from a residents' point of view. Hey....I am moving back to Portland soon and am considering buying in NE. Great pics.....we have to post some summertime pics this year because that is when Portland's hoods are so lively.