View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm thinking this one will be rather nice. As it is, we don't have any triangular shaped towers in Austin, so this will be something different.

I'm hopeful that we'll eventually see something really interesting like say Dallas' Fountain Place for a lot somewhere bordering a CVC. I'd like to see a tower have some interesting angles like that to avoid the corridor. Curved towers and flat out round ones don't really do it for me, unless it's an acisent in the facade such as Chicago's Trump Tower. But just round or oval towers are kind of bland actually. Angled towers to me are more interesting and appear as completely different buildings from different angles. Just look at the Bowie. It already looks like three different buildings when viewed from different angles.
I like the Fountain Place Tower too for the same reason. It looks like a different building when viewed from different angles. Because its a commercial building as with many commercial buildings, the developers and architechs seem to want dramatic designs to make their buildings stand out in the skyline. With residential, this project is about as good as it gets. I don't imagine lenders want to loan too much on cosmetics. So yes, as long as the majority of the new construction is residential, we will see more of the same, up to 40 floors, rectangular, ect...This one is at least slightly different. For us to get something like Fountain Place, we would need a major demand swing for commercial space dt, so it may be a while. In the meantime, be happy with nice new shiney 300 -400 footers popping up and filling those gaps ohhey, or not.