View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 2:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I disagree with both maps.
I think they are silly. They're basically "clickbait". Just about every area I'm familiar with has some kind of problematic association on those maps, which suggests that more or all of those regions are probably off.

Detroit for example seems to be in the same region as say PEI whereas Toronto is in a different one, lumped in with the northern part of Texas. It also doesn't capture the urban-rural divide which is more important. Boston has more in common with Labrador than some part of NY state a few hours away? When you drive from PEI to NS you go through another nation?

I also find these things often commit the error of clustering based on salient features rather than important features. Modern Louisiana may have some French historical associations but the reality is that it is quite distant from Quebec. I would argue much more distant than anywhere in Canada. Most of the cultural affinities in North America area pretty boring, i.e. one state or province is a lot like the one next door. And the states or provinces tend to be more like other domestic neighbours rather than areas across an international border.