View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Let's talk about places that could be different and major cities. I know Cairo, Illinois gets brought up from time to time but I'll keep it local.

Imagine if there was no such thing as hurricanes or if they were no bigger than a minor tropical storm. How impressive would Galveston be today? Ignoring that the city is susceptible to sinking like New Orleans, I'd say it'd be one of the more bragged about cities on this forum and a fine piece of urbanity.
A lot of you are forgetting urban history. A good deal of why some cities grow faster or boom or not boom have a lot to do Not with natural location but with how they are promoted and who is invested in their promotion. People or certain individuals are sometimes the factor. DeWitt Clinton the mayor of New York was the big promoter of the Erie canal, and we see what happened to New York. Granted, its location would have been enough to secure a major City, but who knows how the actions of a certain individual can promote that growth even further and start a growth spiral. I know my home City of Lynchburg Virginia was the biggest city in the western part of Virginia at one time, but promoters in Big Lick, now Roanoke, sought to put a railroad junction there instead and it grew larger. Also later because of lobbyists in Charlottesville, Interstate 64 was chosen to go there instead of going through Lynchburg. We all know how interstates promote growth.