View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 12:09 AM

Density

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBreak View Post
Pretty disappointing is an understatement.
It seems that strip mall like development just continues unabated in Saskatoon.
As far as I'm concerned, this proposal should be rejected if the municipality has the power to do so, as it's a completely inappropriate replacement for that site.

It's curious that neither Cynthia Block nor Mayor Clark have commented on this, especially since they were so happy to see the condo development on a residential part of University Drive. Everyone seems to love the incursion of highrises into Nutana residential streets... just not on the main streets in the same neighbourhood, ironically.

I'm not disagreeing with the condo for University Drive, but why is it that this city always seems to settle for the mediocre in places where higher storeyed buildings actually should be constructed? Especially after all this chatter from civic leaders about densification?

This reminds me of when the city allowed the destruction of historical row housing along 25th Street to be replaced by a pathetic Mac's Convenience store, back in 1979. and I'm pretty disappointed that the city just keeps letting developers destroy buildings of historical significance, only to have them replaced with cheap, strip mall like single storey developments.
Charlie Clark keeps telling us that a Bus Rapid Transit system is the key to increasing density. The city is investing heavily into BRT and believes BRT is the key to extensive development of condos and businesses along the BRT routes. Broadway will be a BRT route so it is time for the city to no longer permit these one store developments or strip malls along any BRT corridors (including 8th street). Nothing but 5 story plus commercial/residential buildings should be permitted.