View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 7:17 AM

Wburg I live and work in Midtown and not the outer suburbs. It's true that my friends and acquaintances live throughout the entire region. But I find many people in the outer suburbs -like Roseville and Granite Bay -have little connection to the City of Sacramento. Therefore, I don't consider them when I think of the character of this city. I'm thinking of the people who live here and make up the character of the city. And I have found these traits common, even if I was generalizing in the extreme. If you don't run into people with these attitudes I really don't know what to say. I think it's funny how you imply that your "circles" must be more artistic/creative than mine. This is a bit presumptuous since you do not know me. I could just as easily say that you might not be able to recognize these traits for good reason but I would never.

But I am more interested to understand why so many talented and creative people end up moving away? Why do people think Austin and Portland is cool and Sacramento is not? Maybe because Sacramento was a small city for so many years there's still a lot of that mentally left. It's particularly annoying in people who's job it is to move this city forward. The state government makes the greatest impact on the culture of Sacramento and in my opinion our economy is too dependent on that.

I think creating a UC campus at the Railyards would be the best thing we could do. Yeah I know we have UC Davis close by but that's not good enough. Berkeley is also close to San Francisco but it still has it's own UC -including a new UCSF campus @ Mission Bay. I think if spent the money on a new UC branch/campus where the proposed arena would go we'd be much better off in 10-30 years.

Last edited by ozone; Dec 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM.