Thread: Calgary Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 3:34 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
It may be a "well understood phenomena" that on some roads the demand increases as new capacity is added. But you can't broadly paint an entire city and every single road with that brush. If you did then eliminating all main roads would fix road congestion. Surely you wouldn't agree with that?

Perhaps cite an example of that phenomena in Alberta? I suspect you can't because our population hasn't reached the level where this occurs.

<snip>Oh, I don't know. I think the end user has often got more valuable info than a planner. <snip>
In each of the two years before the Glenmore/Elbow/5th St interchange opened, the average annual daily traffic on Glenmore between Macleod and Elbow was 81,000 vehicles a day. In each of the two years since the interchange opened, the AADT in the same location was 94,000 vehicles per day. That's a 16% increase on a road not located near any new development, and it's from a stable level both before and after; i.e. it's not a trend, it's the new capacity being filled up as it was created, i.e. it's induced demand.

Also, it's not like planners are some sort of mythical half-lion half-badger creature that only survives in climate-controlled pods. They're people who also live in the city. So they're both end users and planners.