View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 12:43 AM

Okay, something creepy is going on, and hear me out on it:

Yesterday (Thursday), never seen and never heard Ottawa Centre (Liberal) MPP Yasir Naqvi and Jim Watson make an unusually large announcement that Naqvi's bill would allow Ottawa to collect red light fine money from Quebec motorists. It amounts to like $300,000 a year. Fine, but huge announcement.

Today, first thing in the morning, never seen or heard except at election time Ottawa West-Nepean (Liberal) MPP Bob Chiarelli, who twice announced a total of $286 million for suburban 417 widening (east and west) in the lead-up to the 2011 election (see above) to relieve "congestion" announces, basically, that Ottawa residents are getting their gas tax back.
HUGE announcement, at a transit station, with Jim Watson. $36 million in gas tax PAID BY OTTAWA residents is coming back to the city. Like it does every friggin year. Like there used to be a different set-up. Only now, because of more drivers and pricier gas, it's $4M more than last year.

The announcement follows: This will be good for transit, and Bob states "Transit is essential to alleviate congestion."

A complete non-announcement. Like announcing your property taxes pay for garbage pickup.

It's still being announced on the radio and TV news. Bob and Jim standing together, saying how our own taxes will help us. The money's really rolling in, they say. A year after a quarter billion spent by the province on pre-election suburban highway widening and not a cent for transit, while the Liberals asked the GTA "How high?" in response to their "Jump".

Thursday and Friday - two HUGE non-announcements regarding basic revenue streams and applauding two never seen or heard except at election time Liberal MPP's.
On Monday, the sleaze at Queen's Park reaches a boil and the Liberals (long past due) start really getting raked through the mud for their financial retardation and moral bankruptcy. Energy Minister Bentley to appear before contempt proceedings. Blowing close to a billion (after associated costs factored in) for buying 2,4,5 GTA seats with everyone else's cash by c ancelling already under construction power plants.

OK, all that said, is anyone else creeped out that Jim Watsin is essentially acting as a de-facto McGuinty Liberal MPP and holding non-events to make his absentee area Liberal MPP's look good? Essentially, trying to hose some of the mud off and electioneer them a bit for the (possible) coming election?

I think it's blatant, as I follow the news closely. And it grosses me out.